Available Bail Options
There are different types of bail bonds, and we will delve into how many types of bail in this article. First, let’s review what a bail bond is and when it is needed. When you’re are arrested for an alleged offense, you’ll be held in custody until a judge determines if you can be released on bond.
Typically, you receive a bond by paying a bondsman or posting bail with the court. The judge will use the following factors to determine bail amount required:
- The alleged offense severity
- The likelihood of additional crimes will be committed after release
- The likelihood the defendant will no-show at the trial
The judge will have guidelines regarding the bail amount, and by law, it cannot be an excessive amount. The judge will also determine types of bail conditions the accused must follow or meet to stay out of jail.
How does a jail bond work?
After the judge sets the bail amount, if the defendant isn’t able to pay the amount, or they don’t know anyone that has the money, they can get help from a Bail bondsman. A bail bondsman has the ability and authority for all types of bail bonds.
The defendant will be required to pay 10% of the amount of bail to the bondsman. The remaining 90% of the bail will be required by the bail bondsman with collateral. That can be provided in many forms, which may vary by which of the types of bail bonds is issued.
After the bail bondman has paid the bail and the defendant is released, it will require them to appear in court. Should they fail to appear, the bond is forfeited, the bail bondsman has to pay the 90% of the bail and will do so by using the collateral put up by the defendant. The collateral can be in the form of jewelry, real estate, stock, antiques such as art, coins, etc. It is then up to the bail bondsman to find the defendant, bring him/her to court and collect on their bail.
What does bail type bond mean?
The bail bond is a form of surety bond and is an agreement by the defendant to appear in court or pay the bond amount set by the judge. All types of bail bonds are cosigned by the bail bondsman, and the defendant is required to pay a fee to the bondsman for guaranteeing the bail payment.
What is the most common type of bail?
Bail is not always associate with a specific amount of cash as many people thing. You can get out of jail if you have cash at the time of your arrest. Typically, bail is more complicated, especially for large amounts of bail.
In any jurisdiction, there are a variety of other types of bail. Not all types of bail available in every state for all situations, and some are employed more than others, defendants can expect to encounter one of more of the following types of bail. The types of bail in law are:
- Cash: In most situations, police will not release the arrested after receiving a citation. The arrested will be released after booking and posting a cash bond. A judge will determine the amount of the cash bond, following a bail schedule set by local or state law.
- Recognizance: Sometimes, a defendant will be released by the court based on their own recognizance after their bail hearing.
- Unsecured: An unsecured bond applies after the court holds a bond hearing where the bail amount is imposed, but the defendant isn’t required to pay the amount stated. This is like a recognizance bond, and the defendant is required to sign an agreement that if they fail to appear in court, they will pay the bail.
- Secured: A secured bond is a type of bail where a defendant gives the court a property that is equal to the required bond.
- Bail Bond: A bail bond is a payment form that is provided on the defendant’s behalf from a bail bondsman.
Can you bail someone out with no money?
No, unfortunately, money is required to bail a person out of jail. The bail bondsman will require the customary 10 percent. In some cases, there are bails that the bond required is 1% to 7%, depending on the type of arrest and the person arrested.
Can I bond myself out of jail?
If you have the funds on you or the means to obtain them while you’re being held in jail, yes, you can bond yourself out. You’ll be required to pay the court clerk the full amount of bail as set forth by the judge at your bail hearing. Being arrested is not a minor thing in life and can a lasting effect of your life. By hiring an attorney as soon as you’re arrested, they can often work around the bail bond, using their own signature to have you release. When you need bail, Air Capital Bail Bonds is here for you. Call 316-755-5142 today!